We welcome scholars, researchers to our Special Collections.
Access to the collection is by appointment only. Semester hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Semester breaks and Summer hours will vary. Special Collections is located on the third floor of Pelletier Library. Please contact Jane Westenfeld, email@example.com, 814-332-3780 for an appointment or inquiries.
The College Archives contains photographs, publications of Allegheny College along with programs, announcements of the events and activities of Allegheny College. Please contact Ruth Andel, firstname.lastname@example.org, 814-332-2398.
The Special Collections in the Lawrence Lee Pelletier Library is the repository for rare books and manuscripts given to Allegheny College. Some noteworthy collections within Special Collections:
- the Original Library of Allegheny College from the bequests of Hon. James Winthrop and the Rev. William Bentley and the gift of Isaiah Thomas
- the personal library and papers of Ida M. Tarbell, Class of 1880
- diaries of the Rev. James Mills Thoburn, Class of 1857
- Collection of Rev. Dr. Charles Carroll Albertson which includes 15th century illuminated manuscripts.
- Civil War letters of Willard Cutter (PA 150th Vol. Lincoln's Guard), Stephen Clark (Ohio)
Use Allecat, the online catalogue to search for books in Special Collections. You can limit your search to find books specifically in Special Collections.