Web of Science: Step by Step
Searching the Web of Science
We will practice searching by topic (keywords) and by cited references.
Limit your search to Science Citation Index if needed. You may also limit by language and by publication date.
General Search tips:
Enter your terms into the search box.
- Change the field searched on the right if needed.
- Enter words or phrases connected by Boolean search operators (AND, OR, NOT, SAME). Use wildcard operators
( * $ ? ) to search for plurals and variant spellings.
- Use quotation marks to retrieve a phrase such as "signal exchange"
- For author searches follow the tips given on the search screen.
Topic Search: ("uv-vis" or "ultraviolet-visible") and spectro*
Refine options are on the left. Here are some to try:
Search within the results-->require that the word catalys* occur somewhere in the article record.
Refine by article type= review article--->
Research Areas - include or exclude
When you are viewing a single record:
Author names are hot linked, click to see all papers in Web of Science by this author.
View the cited references for this paper
Cited by: Right of page: See all papers in Web of Science citing this article
Citation Map: view a graphical relation between two papers.
- Click on the article title to view the full record. Read the abstract, author keywords, keywords plus and more.
- Click "search for article" box to see if this article is available at Allegheny. If not, click on the link to Illiad to order a copy via interlibrary loan.
- click on the mark record box to save for exporting to Refworks.