What's On Artstor
ARTstor includes 200,000 images - a wide variety of images relevant to Humanities and Social Sciences, not just art, including
- South Asian Traditions and Rituals
- Mayan Excavations
- Community Murals
- Cook's Voyages, Botanical and Zoological Illustrations
- Visual History of the United States
- Gravestone Photographs
- Scenic Designs from Operatic Theaters
In ARTstor you can
- view, print or export images
- create your own groups of images
- export groups to power point
- use groups as slide shows
- import your own images as a private collection
- share image groups with others at Allegheny
* Some of these functions are limited to Faculty use.
ARTstor - Links for on- and off-campus
ARTstor Quick Start
Register for your own account
A personal account gives you access special functions like organizing images in groups. It makes off-campus access easier. (Artstor does not automatically use Allegheny passwords; you must complete the registration process)
Faculty - request Instructor status
Instructor status allows you to make public folders that can be shared within Allegheny, add sharable "instructor" notes to images, and upload images to make personal collections. Email Helen McCullough for instructor status.
Set up at least one folder using the Share option in the top menu
You can create "groups" of images and these groups are put in folders. Artstor provides you with a default private folder; you need to make one or more public folders yourself if you want to share your image groups.
When searching, use the "within this category" dropdown option next to the search box
ARTstor is a huge database, and the cataloging terms tend to be repetitive and ambiguous. After your first search, if you need to refine your results there is a drop-down next to the search box that lets you search within the current result set.
Use the other tab on this webpage for more specific instructions, or ask an instructional technologist for help.