Invitation to Lunch with FLOW
Professor: Christy Donmoyer
Librarian: Cynthia Burton
Improve Your Search
Truncate Keywords in the search
neurobehavio* will search for neurobehavior, neurobehaviour, neurobehavioural, neurobehavioral, neurobehaviours, etc.
Use Boolean Operators to improve results
or either word will be retrieved
neurorehabilitation or neuroplasticity
and both words must be in the result glia* and stroke
and (or) to combine related terms
parkinson's and (glia* or neuroglia or neuron*)
Begin with keywords, move to formal Subjects (note: Medline calls subject headings Mesh headings)
Find a good source with keyword searching
Click on Full Record
Look for Subjects or Descriptors to find more like this
Web of Science: Step by Step
Searching the Web of Science
limit your search to Science Citation Index (if desired). You may also limit by language and by publication date.
General Search tips:
Enter your terms into the search box.
- Change the field searched on the right if needed.
- Enter words or phrases connected by Boolean search operators (AND, OR, NOT, SAME). Use wildcard operators
( * $ ? ) to search for plurals and variant spellings.
- Use quotation marks to retrieve a phrase such as "signal exchange"
- For author searches follow the tips given on the search screen.
Topic Search: vitamin-a and retina---> 444 results (September 2014)
Refine options are on the left. Here are some to try:
Refine by broad category: include or exclude.
Refine by article type= review article--->62 articles.
Search within the results-->require that the expression mice or mouse occur somewhere in the article record.
When you are viewing a single record:
- Author names are hot linked, click to see all papers in Web of Science by this author.
- View the cited references for this paper.
- Right of page: See all papers in Web of Science citing this article.
- Analyse results: WOS looks for articles with shared references, keywords, and more
- Citation Map: view a graphical relation between two papers.
- Click on the article title to view the full record. Read the abstract, author keywords, keywords plus and more.
- Click "search for article" box to see if this article is available at Allegheny. If not, click on the link to Illiad to order a copy via interlibrary loan.
- click on the mark record box to save for exporting to FLOW.
Enter Donmoyer c* making sure that the field tag is for author.
Look under the Organizations limiting field. what do you notice?