Web of Science: Step by Step
Searching the Web of Science
limit your search to Science Citation Index (if desired). You may also limit by language and by publication date.
General Search tips:
Enter your terms into the search box.
- Change the field searched on the right if needed.
- Enter words or phrases connected by Boolean search operators (AND, OR, NOT, SAME). Use wildcard operators
( * $ ? ) to search for plurals and variant spellings.
- Use quotation marks to retrieve a phrase such as "signal exchange"
- For author searches follow the tips given on the search screen.
Topic Search: vitamin-a and retina---> 504 results (September 2016)
(compare with vitamin a and retina/ "vitamin a" and retina
Refine options are on the left. Here are some to try:
Refine by broad category: include or exclude.
Refine by article type= review article--->74 articles.
Search within the results-->require that the expression mice or mouse occur somewhere in the article record.
When you are viewing a single record:
- Author names are hot linked, click to see all papers in Web of Science by this author.
- View the cited references for this paper.
- Right of page: See all papers in Web of Science citing this article.
- Analyse results: WOS looks for articles with shared references, keywords, and more
- Citation Map: view a graphical relation between two papers.
- Click on the article title to view the full record. Read the abstract, author keywords, keywords plus and more.
- Click "search for article" box to see if this article is available at Allegheny. If not, click on the link to Illiad to order a copy via interlibrary loan.
- click on the mark record box to save for exporting to FLOW.
Enter Donmoyer c* making sure that the field tag is for author.
Look under the Organizations limiting field. what do you notice?